- z61t Linux review (Milosz Tanski), 2006-01-05
Most of the laptop features are currently supported by Linux. Kernel versions 2.6.17 and later are recommended.
Sound works with the snd-hda-intel module in the Linux kernel. Be aware that disabling the modem in the BIOS may break sound.
Fan control in EC
Apparently with latest BIOS (maybe earlier too), Embedded Controller do not speed up the fan when system temperature is high. This function seem to have been removed from firmware. It is recommended to install script controlling fan speed to mitigate risk of overheating.
Intel Core Duo (Yonah) and Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) supports Intel VT-x. However, earlier versions of the Z61t BIOS disable it. You must update your system's BIOS to Version 7FETA0WW (2.18) or later to take advantage of virtualization. Also, you must enter the BIOS configuration menus and explicitly enable the feature.
See the BIOS Upgrade page for details on updating your BIOS.
Make sure you either explicitly enable or disable the IRDA functionality in the BIOS (instead of having it be enabled but off). Otherwise the kernel IRDA driver will OOPS. Other than that it works fine.
Requires xorg-x11 >= 7.1
xf86-video-i810(xorg i810 driver) >= 1.7.0
3-in-1 card reader
Support for the built-in memory card reader is provided by the tifm drivers.
As of kernel 2.6.17, suspend works, with the caveat that the SATA controller is set to compatibility mode in the BIOS (instead of AHCI mode). This is due to the fact that the kernel dosen't exactly support suspend/resume in the AHCI driver yet, and the AHCI module fails to turn the hard drives back on at resume time.
Problems with Drivers
Certain driver modules are known to exhibit problems on suspend. These are:
- ipw3945: Intel wireless driver.
- sdhci: SD host controller interface driver.
- tifm: Memory card reader driver.
Depending on which combination of kernel and driver versions you're using, the above drivers may cause you problems. These drivers should be unloaded prior to suspend or your system may hang, requiring a power-cycle.
Pages in category "Z61t"
The following 85 pages are in this category, out of 85 total.
- Table of thinkpad-acpi LEDs
- TFT display
- ThinkPad 11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Mini Express Adapter
- ThinkPad 56K Modem (MDC-1.5)
- ThinkPad Adjustable Notebook Stand
- ThinkPad Advanced Dock
- ThinkPad Advanced Mini-Dock
- ThinkPad Button
- ThinkPad Essential Port Replicator
- ThinkPad History
- Tp smapi
- Ultrabay Slim Battery II
- Ultrabay Slim CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
- Ultrabay Slim CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive II
- Ultrabay Slim DVD Multi-Burner
- Ultrabay Slim DVD Multi-Burner II
- Ultrabay Slim DVD Multi-Burner III
- Ultrabay Slim DVD Multi-Burner Plus
- Ultrabay Slim DVD-ROM Drive
- Ultrabay Slim PATA HDD Adapter
- Ultrabay Slim SATA HDD Adapter
- Ultrabay Slim Travel Bezel
- USB Port