Not all CDCs will work in CDC slot-equipped models, even if they are using the same connector. This is due to a different electrical pin-out, which varies among ThinkPads. Some might even reject a pin-compatible CDC by displaying an 'Error 1803: Invalid Daughter Card' message, which is caused by a whitelist that is built into the BIOS (capable of being bypassed via the no-1802 utility, doesn't work on the T43(p), X41(Tablet), R52). Only some models are known to employ a CDC whitelist however, which are likely to be models released after the A30, T30, X30, and the R32. For some reason, the R40e, G40, G41, S30, and the S31 do not employ a CDC whitelist.
HD Audio CDC slot-equipped models do not have a CDC whitelist, likely due to their limited selection of CDCs (two CDCs). This allows them to interchange CDCs freely.
Note that all AC'97 CDCs are approximately 45 x 27 mm, and all HD Audio CDCs are approximately 34 x 26 mm. The height varies from 3-7 mm, depending on the CDC itself.
- Modem Daughter Card (MDC)
- IBM Integrated 56K Modem (MDC-2)
- ThinkPad 56K Modem (MDC-1.5)
- ThinkPad Modem (MDC-3.0, 56kbps HDA)
Modem and Bluetooth Combination CDCs
- IBM Integrated Bluetooth II with 56K Modem (BMDC)
- IBM Integrated Bluetooth III with 56K Modem (BMDC-2)
- IBM Integrated Bluetooth IV with 56K Modem (BMDC-3)
Models featuring this technology
with an AC'97 CDC slot, supporting Ethernet controllers
with an AC'97 CDC slot, supporting Ethernet and Bluetooth controllers
with an AC'97 CDC slot, supporting SoftModem DSPs
with an AC'97 CDC slot, supporting SoftModem DSPs and Bluetooth controllers
- A30, A30p, A31, A31p
- T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p
- X30, X31, X32, X40, X41, X41 Tablet
- R40, R50, R50p, R51, R52