Over time, different ThinkPads have used different power connectors. You can use a higher Amperage rated power supply then your ThinkPad needs, as long as the physical connector is correct. But you should not use a lower Amperage power supply on a ThinkPad needing more Amperage. Doing so will overheat the power supply, and might cause issues such as screen flicker.
All current Thinkpads require 20 Volt DC input. See also the official Lenovo page for power adapters Lenovo Alias ID: AC-ADAPTERS, Document ID: PD014168, Last Updated :02 Sep 2016. (Was IBM Doc MIGR-4tcmcu.)
6.3 mm outer, 3.0 mm inner diameter
Some models use 15 V, 2.0 A Power.
- ThinkPad 500 (MTM 2603-08N) rated 10.8 V ⎓ 1.7 A, 18.36 W. Seems to work with FRU 59G7991 16.3v/1.84a.
- ThinkPad 700T (MTM 2521-002) rated 15V ⎓ 1.7A, 25W.
- 730T, 730TE rated 15 VDC, 1.3 A, part 66G9523, FRU 99G0505, reference on ps-2.kev0009.com; another FRU seems to be 84G0505 made in Japan by Panasonic. In twbook.pdf, "AC Adapter 20 watts 84G0480".
6.3 mm outer, 3.6 mm inner diameter
The connector is inner 3,6 mm. outer 6,3 mm.
- P/N 84G6612; FRU P/N 84G6679; rated output 18V 0.83A; UL file number E133304 NAGANO JAPAN RADIO CO LTD.
- P/N 84G6754, FRU 39H2425, rated 18V, 0.83A.
The information found in this page is mostly correct. But the four-pin connector, in particular, is not thoroughly understood. This connector is discussed on forum.thinkpads.com, "Correct type of power supply for 360Cs".
A makeshift replacement connector
As these 4-pin PSUs are getting more rare and more expensive, a cheap solution if you don't have one is to adapt a universal 19-20V laptop PSU with a barrel connector. This isn't ideal if you're relying on the Thinkpad for some critical old business application, but it's fine if you're just a tinkerer playing with an old one off eBay for example.
Only the "+" and "-" connections (top-right and bottom-right looking into the connector on the back of the laptop from the back of the laptop) are required for basic operation, so that's all you need to adapt. Get an extension lead for your barrel connector - e.g. 2.1mm - and cut it in half. Discard the plug half. Get a "Mini JST" plug with flying leads, commonly used to power model helicopters etc. This is the plug that I've found will fit over the + and - pins. Wire the two together so that the red wire on the Mini JST is soldered to the centre contact wire on the barrel connector extension (socket half).
ALWAYS double check the polarity when plugging in your custom modded connector, since it's possible to get it the wrong way round.--Cloudane
plug converter for universal power adapter
An aftermarket plug converter is available, alone and in a set, which fits IBM's hexagonal inlet. It is meant to be used with an Universal AC Adapter (of cheap China Special variety). It is not safe to use. In this converter, both G and - are wired to the outer shell of the barrel connector, and both S and + are wired to the centre pin of the barrel connector. In some ThinkPads (specifically 760E), S and - pins are connected to each other. This plug will make a short circuit in such a ThinkPad.
Models using this connector
- ThinkPad 360P (MTM 2620-50D rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label, 30 watts in twbook.pdf)
- ThinkPad 360PE (MTM 2620-B0G rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label, 35 watts in twbook.pdf)
- ThinkPad 750P (MTM 9545-40E rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label)
- ThinkPad 755CD (MTM 9545-FBX rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label, 35 watts in twbook.pdf)
- ThinkPad 760ED (MTM 9546-U3A and 9546-U9A rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label, 35 watts in twbook.pdf)
- ThinkPad 760XL (MTM 9547-U9C rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label, 35 watts in twbook.pdf)
- Power Series 800 (MTM 6020-960 rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label)
- Power Series ThinkPad 850 (MTM 7249 rated 20V ⎓ 2.50A on machine label)
30 watts in twbook.pdf
35 watts in twbook.pdf
AC Adapter PN 76H0119
40 watts in twbook.pdf
56 watts in twbook.pdf
- ThinkPad 555BJ
- P/N 02K7014; FRU P/N 02K7015; OUTPUT 16V ⎓ 2.2A
- P/N 49G2192; FRU P/N 49G2196; INPUT 100-240V ⏦ 0.95-0.5A 50/60Hz; OUTPUT 20-10V ⎓ 2.00-3.38A
- UL File Number E123155 : (LABEL? ASM?) P/N 49G2194
- UL File Number E133304 : (LABEL? ASM?) P/N 53G7806
- P/N 85G6704; FRU P/N 85G6705; OUTPUT 16V ⎓ 2.2A
- P/N 85G6733; FRU P/N 85G6735; INPUT 100-240V ⏦ 1.0A-0.55A 50-60Hz; OUTPUT 16V ⎓ 2.2A; no S pin
- P/N 09J4298; FRU P/N 09J4303; 20V ⎓ 3A
- In twbook.pdf "56 watt AC Adapter (4 pin; 3 prong) 12J2456".
- In twbook.pdf "Options for ThinkPad Power Series: AC Adapter 50 watts 30H1403".
- AC Adapter-30 : LABEL P/N 84G2128; P/N 84G2098; FRU P/N 84G2277; INPUT 100-120V ⏦ 0.85-0.75A 50/60Hz; OUTPUT 20-10V ⎓ 1.5-3.0A
This connector resembles, but is slightly larger, than Mini-Din. This connector resembles "snap and lock" DC power connector.
120W 7.5 Amps
ThinkPad 120W AC Adapter (Support Website)
AC Adapter FRU PN 92P1035
AC Adapter Ouput: 7.5A, 16V
5.5 mm outer, 2.5 mm inner diameter
This is a 2.5/5.5mm barrel coax connector, delivering 16 volts. Four AC adapters are commonly available: 35W (16V 2.2 Amps), 54W (16V 3.36 Amps), 56W (16V 3.5 Amps), 72W (16V 4.5 Amps). Some of the 3.36A adapters have been recalled: see the page Damage in 56W AC-Adapter, plastic housing melted.
- ThinkPad 345CS, 345C (rated 35W 2.2 Amps)
- ThinkPad 365CS, 365C, 365CSD, 365CD, 365E, 365ED, 365X, 365XD (rated 35W 2.2 Amps)
- ThinkPad 380, 380D, 380ED (rated 35W 2.2 Amps)
- ThinkPad 380XD, 380Z, 385XD (rated 2.45A)
- ThinkPad 390, 390E, 390X, i Series 1700 (i Series 1720, i Series 1721, i Series 1780, i Series 1781) (rated 54W 3.36 Amps)
- ThinkPad 560, 560E (rated 1.9A)
- ThinkPad 560X, 560Z (rated 35W 2.2 Amps)
- ThinkPad 570, 570E (rated 54W 3.36 Amps)
- ThinkPad i Series (1400 and 1500 type 2621), i Series 1400, i Series 1420, i Series 1500, i Series 1560, i Series 1200, i Series 1300, i Series 1330, Template:I1350 (1171-350) (rated 54W 3.36 Amps)
- ThinkPad A20m, A20p, A21e, A21m, A21p, A22e, A22m, A22p, A30, A30p, A31, A31p, A275, A285, A475, A485 (rated 72W 4.5 Amps)
- ThinkPad iSeries S30 (rated 54W 3.36 amp)
- ThinkPad T20, T21, T22 (rated 54W 3.36 Amps)
- ThinkPad T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p (rated 72W 4.5 Amps)
- ThinkPad TransNote (rated 3.7A)
56W 3.5 Amps
- ThinkPad 380E (35 or 56 watts in twbook.pdf)
- ThinkPad 385D, 385ED
- ThinkPad 535, 535E
- ThinkPad 770E, 770ED
barrel connector, slim
19 Volt Coax connector
IBM called it "barrel connector, slim". 19 V, 45 W 2.4 A. 5.5 mm outer, 2.1 mm inner diameter. Option Marketing number 11J8702. See AC adapter matrix (Doc PD012162) as a source of information.
- WorkPad Z50 (Type 2608) FRU 02K6560, 02K6562
- ThinkPad 310 (Type 2600): P/N 11J8627, FRU 02K6900;
- ThinkPad 310, 310D, 310E, 310ED
- ThinkPad i Series 1400 and 1500 (type 2611) (reference Doc LWIK-3Z7J5H)
big barrel "advanced" connector
20 Volt Coax. 7.5mm OD, 5.55mm ID, 0.8mm diameter central pin.
Power controller subsystem senses when power is connected, and measures resistance between central signal pin and ground. Firmware policy might reduce performance (battery charges slowly, processors throttle to low speed) if an insufficient supply is detected. This issue is discussed at forum.thinkpads.com, "W520 requires 170W AC adapter".
|65 W||10 kΩ|
|90 W||not connected|
|135 W||0 Ω|
|170 W||1.5 kΩ|
Models using this connector
65W 3.25 Amps
AC Adapter Output 3.25A, 20V
- ThinkPad R60, R400, R500 - with Intel Graphics
- ThinkPad T60, T400, T400s, T410s, T500, T510, - with Intel Graphics
- ThinkPad T410i, T410si, T430i, T430u, T510i
- ThinkPad X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet
- ThinkPad X100e, X200, X200s, X200 Tablet, X201, X201i, X201s, X201 Tablet, X300, X301, X220, X220 Tablet, X230, X230 Tablet
- Thinkpad Z60m, Z60t, Z61e, Z61m, Z61t - with Intel Graphics
90W 4.5 Amps
- ThinkPad R60, R60e
- ThinkPad T60, T60p, T61, T61p, T400, T410, T500, T510 - With ATI or Nvidia Graphics
- ThinkPad T430
- ThinkPad T520 - Dual Core
- ThinkPad W500
- ThinkPad X61, X61s, X61 Tablet, X200, X200s, X200 Tablet, X201s
- ThinkPad Z60m, Z60t
135W 6.75 Amps
AC Adapter PN 55Y9317
W520 W530 variant
170W 8.5 Amps
The size of this connector is same as on usual 20V AC adapters, but inner detail is different. Inside this connector is not round any more: it has two symmetric plastic knobs. A user can only plug it in two particular orientations. The extra knobs prevent one from using the AC adapter with any other Thinkpads.
How to use 170W powersupplies with other Models
- cigarette lighter DC cable and plug assembly: FRU 41R0145, Assembly PN 41R0144 (for first Slim Combo, not Ultraslim)
slim power tips
- Lenovo Slim Power Tip for X1 Carbon: Marketing part number 0B47048; Replacement part number (FRU) 03X6262. (Despite its name, compatibility is not limited to X1 Carbon.)
- 20VDC output ("advanced" connector; 90W max.): 41R4286
- 19VDC output (for IdeaPad; 90W max.): 41R4356
- 16 volt output tip (5.5/2.5mm; 72W max.): 41R4285
W700 Coax connector
⌀ 6.3 mm outer, ~4 mm inner diameter. The W700/W700ds AC adapter plug has a different diameter than all other 20 Volt AC adapters. You cannot plug in a different AC adapter into a W700-series Thinkpad nor can you use the W700 AC adapter on a non-W700 Thinkpad. This coaxial (barrel) connector does not have a discrete signal contact.
170W 8.5 Amps for W700
AC Adapter PN 41R4421
230W 11.5 Amps
AC Adapter PN 55Y9333
Lenovo introduced a new power connector in 2012. This connector is standard in all new models since late 2013 product line. It is rectangular, close in size to USB A connector, and it has a signal pin in centre. For fondleslabs, slimtangle plug delivers at 12 volts. Notebook-laptop ThinkPads use 20 volt power still since 2005.
|36 W||7,3 kΩ|
|45 W||120 Ω|
|65 W||280 Ω|
|90 W||550 Ω|
|135 W||1 kΩ|
|170 W||1.9 kΩ|
|230 W||4.6 kΩ|
Models using this connector
- A conversion cable for 20V barrel plugs exists: ThinkPad Slim Power Conversion Cable; Model L01DC001-NB-R; Option Marketing number 0B47046; ASM 0A36037; FRU 03X6261; UPC 887263167790; EAN 0887263167790; JAN 4560421046101. Amazon.com ASIN B00BOVO5GY.
- ThinkPad USB charging adapter: model 4X20E50164; FRU 03X6282; Doc PD030865; Publication tp_usb_charging_adapter_sp40e49049.pdf. Amazon.com ASIN B00KF47JDM.
- OneLink connector
- ThinkPad Ultra Dock
36W 12 V ⎓ 3 A
- ThinkPad Tablet 36W DC Charger: model 4X20E75080; FRU 03X6283; Doc PD031186; Publication tp_tablet_dc_sp40e49063.pdf. Amazon.com ASIN B00K8OA0WG.
- ThinkPad Tablet 10
45W 2.25 Amps
- IdeaPad Yoga 11
- ThinkPad Yoga S1
- ThinkPad Helix
- ThinkPad T431s
- ThinkPad X230s, X240, X240s, X1 Carbon (3rd Gen)
- ThinkPad T440s (with Intel graphics)
65W 3.25 Amps
- Lenovo 65W DC Travel adapter: model 0B47481; service part number (FRU) 03X6275; cigar lighter adapter FRU 03X6274; Doc PD027568; Publication 65w_dctravel_swsg_0a33593.pdf. Amazon.com ASIN B00DSP19LS.
- Lenovo 65W AC adapter ADLX65NDC2A: model 45N0255; service part number (FRU) 45N0256; Amazon.com ASIN B00F1MNEQO.
- IdeaPad Yoga 13
- ThinkPad Edge E531
- ThinkPad Edge E540
- ThinkPad T440s (with discrete graphics)
90W 4.5 Amps
- ThinkPad X1 Carbon
135W 6.75 Amps
170W 8.5 Amps
- ThinkPad i Series 1124, i Series 1157, i Series 1300, i Series 1370, i Series 1620, i Series 1800
- ThinkPad S31
- 54 or 56 W, clarity needed: i Series 1210, i Series 1230, i Series 1250, i Series 1260, i Series 1460, i Series 1480, i Series 1421, i Series 1441, i Series 1422, i Series 1442, i Series 1482, i Series 1483, i Series 1492, i Series 1540, i Series 1541, i Series 1542, i Series 1562, i Series 1592,
10.5 V, 1.0 A Power
- ThinkPad 220