Bluetooth Daughter Card (14 pins)
The 14 pin Bluetooth Daughter Cards (BDC) are USB Bluetooth Adapters that are installed in a proprietary BDC socket. The connection probably carries usb, power, led and enable signal. The antenna is printed on the PCB. The location varies by model (within the screen, under the palm rest area, etc.); refer to the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the location of the BDC.
Very likely, all BDCs can be interchanged, allowing newer Bluetooth adapters to be installed in older ThinkPads. The Bluetooth 4.0 module has specifically been seen advertised like that by dealers and photos of different modules reveal no mechanical incompatibility. – Nevertheless do some Hardware Maintenance Manuals require using an M2 screw for one BDC and an M2.5 screw for another.
Bluetooth 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
- Broadcom BCM2045B
- USB id 0A5C:2110
- FRU PN: 39T0497 (T60, T61, X60, X61, X300)
- Z60m, Z60t, Z61t
- R60, R61
- T60p, T61p
- X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61s, X61 Tablet
Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
- USB ids 0A5C:2145 and 0A5C:217F
- FRU 42T0969, 60Y3211, 60Y3215 R400, R500, T400, T500, W500, W700, W700ds, X200, X200s, X201, X201s
- FRU 44C9696 X200 Tablet, X201 Tablet
- FRU 43Y6481 SL300, T400s, X301
- FRU 60Y3199, 60Y3213 W701, W701ds, Edge 11", T410, T410i, T410s, T410si
- FRU 60Y3199 T510, T510i, W510, X100e
- Edge 13", Edge 14", Edge 15"
- L412, L512
- SL400, SL500, SL500c, SL510
When Bluetooth is enabled, the Bluetooth-logo LED will light up and executing
# lsusb will show an entry mentioning "Broadcom".
On recent ThinkPads the Wireless killswitch disables both WiFi and Bluetooth (verified on a ThinkPad Z60m, Z61t, T60, T61 and X61).
ThinkPads without BDC socket
Not every Bluetooth comes via 14 pin Bluetooth Daughter Card. The X240 uses combined WiFi/Bluetooth mini-PCIe cards instead. Older devices use the Template:CDC slot to provide Bluetooth.
- X60 Tablet
- X61 Tablet
- X200 Tablet
- X201 Tablet
- Edge 11"
- Edge 13"
- Edge 14"
- Edge 15"
- X230 Tablet