Qualcomm Gobi 2000
- ThinkPad AT&T® Gobi 2000 Broadband Option 78Y1398
- ThinkPad Gobi 2000 Broadband Option 78Y1399
The firmware for this device is not publicly downloadable and currently must be obtained from a windows installation. The firmware consists of 3 parts:
- amss.mbn (firmware stage 1)
- apps.mbn (firmware stage 2)
- UQCN.mbn (formware stage 3) - includes configuration and carrier specific settings)
MD5 SUM of known firmware files:
- 84d002b0ef003cde6c95826bfbf067fe /lib/firmware/gobi/amss.mbn (STAGE 1, tested with UK T510, O2 SIM)
- d7496085f1af3d1bfdf0fa60c3222766 /lib/firmware/gobi/apps.mbn (STAGE 2, tested with UK T510, O2 SIM)
- 1aa5727b034dd1f371a3412d5800c1a3 /lib/firmware/gobi/UQCN.mbn (STAGE 3, UMTS unlocked, tested with UK T510, O2 SIM)
I am experimenting on an alternative way, described on the discussion page. Sebi 15:08, 15 March 2010 (UTC)
The firmware for this device must be loaded prior to using the device. The firmware loading interface is exposed over USB as id 05c6:9204 which can be accessed as a character (TTYUSB) device under Linux using the qcserial driver (modified to include correct USB IDs). The firmware can be loaded using the gobi_loader application.
After firmware is loaded, the modem is exposed over USB as id 05c6:9205 which can be accessed as a character (TTYUSB) device under Linux using the qcserial (modified to include correct USB IDs). Normal dial-up software can be used to create a 3G connection.
Carrier specific configurations
Each device is intended to be used with a specific carrier, and is shipped with firmware to support that carrier. Notebooks are often also shipped with a pre-installed SIM. Other carriers may work by loading a different firmware version. The 'generic UMTS' stage 3 firmware is known to with with O2, an unsupported UK carrier. See above for a list of known firmware files.
ThinkPads this device may be found in
AT&T service contract may be required
Verizon service contract may be required
Gobi 2000 WWAN upgradable