Wireless Network Adapters
This document covers IBM integrated (MiniPCI), Cardbus and PC Card (PCMCIA) Wi-Fi devices.
- 1 Finding out which adapter you have
- 2 MiniPCI adapters
- 3 Cardbus adapters
- 4 PC Card (PCMCIA) adapters
Finding out which adapter you have
For MiniPCI or Cardbus adapters run the command:
And compare the PCI IDS with the ones below.
- IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 168c:1014)
- IBM 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II (PCI-ID: 168c:1014)
- IBM Dual-Band 11a/b Wi-Fi Wireless Mini PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 168c:0012)
- IBM 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 168c:0013)
- IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter with Modem (PCI-ID: 1260:3873)
- IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Adapter with Modem II (PCI-ID: 1260:3873)
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Mini-PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 8086:4220)
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Mini-PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 8086:4224)
- Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (PCI-ID: 8086:1043)
- Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b (PCI-ID: 14b9:a504)
Although the MiniPCI slot is an industry standard and can accept any MiniPCI adapter, the IBM BIOS is set to only allow you to boot with an 'authorized' adapter installed. Attempts to install an unsupported card will result in the following message:
1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the miniPCI network card.
This is because the cards ID(s) (what lspci uses) are checked against a whitelist in the BIOS. IBM's reasoning for this is that the combination of MiniPCI card and the integrated antenna in the ThinkPad needs to be certified by the US FCC (Federal Communications Committee).
Additional Information about "Unauthorised" MiniPCI adapters can be found at: http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mjg59/thinkpad/
Cardbus is a 32bits bus that runs at 33MHz, and is in many ways simular to the PCI bus. In fact under Linux Cardbus adapters are handled by the PCI subsystem.
You can differentiate a PC Card adapter from a Cardbus adapter as the later has a gold coloured grounding strip
IBM 11 a/b/g Wireless Cardbus Adapter
Supported wireless modes: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g
IBM 802.11a Wireless LAN Cardbus Adapter
Supported wireless modes: 802.11a
PC Card (PCMCIA) adapters
PC Card or PCMCIA (Personal Computer Memory Card International Association) as it used to be called, is an 8 or 16bits bus limited to 8MHz, in many ways simular to the old ISA bus and not suitable for highspeed devices.
Cisco Aironet 350 802.11b wireless PC card with 128bit
Supported wireless modes: 802.11b