Controlling the ThinkLight with the keyboard works on all systems since it relies on the BIOS exclusively. Just pressto toggle its state between on and off.
Software Control via ibm-acpi
Support for controlling the light with ACPI is provided by ibm-acpi. After installing it, a simple
# echo on > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
switches it on and a
# echo off > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
switches it off again.
This allows one to control the light in scripts. Unfortunately, no known ThinkPad comes with a light sensor (yet). ;)
Models featuring this Technology
- ThinkPad i Series 1460, i Series 1480, i Series 1482, i Series 1483, i Series 1492
- ThinkPad A20m, A20p, A21e, A21m, A21p, A22e, A22m, A22p, A30, A30p, A31, A31p, A275, A285, A475, A485
- ThinkPad R30, R31, R32, R40, R40e, R50, R50e, R50p, R51, R51e, R52, R60, R60e, R60i, R61, R61e, R61i, R400, R480, R490, R500, R580, R590
- ThinkPad T14, T15, T20, T21, T22, T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61, T61p, T400, T400s, T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T430, T430i, T430s, T430si, T430u, T431s, T440, T440s, T440p, T450, T450s, T460, T460s, T460p, T470, T470s, T470p, T480, T480s, T490, T490s, T495, T495s, T500, T510, T510i, T520, T520i, T530, T530i, T540p, T550, T560, T570, T580, T590
- ThinkPad X20, X21, X22, X23, X24, X30, X31, X32, X40, X41