- 1 17 mm
- 2 20 mm
- 3 701
- 4 21 mm
- 5 parallel port
- 6 references
- 7 UNSORTED
By year 2000, IBM made this their standard exteral floppy connector. This D-shell connector has 26 pins. It is found in ThinkPad and Dock line, and SurePOS.
Models featuring this Technology
- ThinkPad 240
- ThinkPad 560, 560E, 560X, 560Z
- ThinkPad 570, 570E
- ThinkPad 600, 600E, 600X
- ThinkPad 770, 770E, 770ED, 770X, 770Z
- ThinkPad Port Replicator
- ThinkPad Port Replicator II
- ThinkPad Dock
- ThinkPad Dock II
- ThinkPad Mini-Dock
- ThinkPad 560 Port Replicator
- ThinkPad 380/385 Port Replicator
- ThinkPad Enhanced Port Replicator
- ThinkPad Port Replicator with Advanced EtherJet
beware identical Toshiba
Toshiba used a same connector as IBM (17 mm 26 pin). Like ThinkPad parts, they are abundant in secondhand market. I wonder if they are compatible; I did not test, myself. I found only one user report (IBM floppy with Toshiba PC), and that user reports failure, not compatible. How unfortunate, IBM and Toshiba did not choose identical wiring plan.--Numeric (talk))
ThinkPad T Series FDD External Cable Kit
This cable connects Ultrabay 2000 Floppy Drive to host with 17 mm D connector. End of cable with Ultrabay 2000 connector has thumbscrews, for a rigid connection, semi-permanent attachment. IBM Option P/N 27L0524; FRU P/N 27L0525; other P/N (ASM?) 27L0526. Support Document MIGR-4JTSXJ Support Document MIGR-40010
UltraslimBay Floppy enclosure
This enclosure houses UltraslimBay Floppy Drive, connects to host with 17 mm D connector.
- Black IBM logo: FRU P/N 05K6187; ASM P/N 05K5907.
- Blue IBM logo: FRU P/N 05K2643; ASM P/N 05K8805.
cable to 21 mm connector
- FRU 12J1711
- FRU 39F2077
- FRU 12J0432
- FRU 05K2844 (other P/N 05K2843)
This D shell connector has 26 pins (seems to be the same like 17 mm, but a little bigger).
This D-shaped trapezoidal connector is used in several external diskette drives, by both IBM and Dell. It has 26 pins. It is a little bit wider than 20 mm D, and about twice as thick.
- MPF72E-1 : ASM P/N 05K8973; FRU P/N 05K8990;
- FD-05P2 : ASM P/N 05K8958; FRU P/N 05K8989;
- IBM FRU NUMBER : 10H4056 ; PART NUMBER 10H3980 ;
- IBM FRU # 59G7918
- FRU # 48G9896
- Dell part number 25749; FCC ID NO.: DX9-DELL-EXFDD;
ThinkPad T20 line supports a floppy drive connected to Parallel Port. Other portable PCs featured this functionality (notably Compaq Armada M700, Dell Latitude C400, and Toshiba), but each company chose different wiring, so a non-IBM parallel floppy drive is NOT substitutable. The adapter (FRU P/N: 08K6360; other number (ASM?) 08K6359) provides a 17 mm D receptacle.
- Floppy Disk Drive Accessories - ThinkPad General
- discussion about 17 20 21 mm D connectors
- photographs and measurements by Ray Kawakami, "IBM 600X vs 365XD Floppy Connectors"
- several part numbers and also Dell 21mm compatibility by findeis@bucknell, "Cable Information for External 3.5" Floppy Diskette Drive for IBM Thinkpads"
- "Marketing P/N to FRU P/N Listing - Diskette/ZIP Drives", Parts Information Document ID: VLAR-3TQW2G, kev009.com
- P/N: 83H6276
- FRU P/N: 12J0432, 39F2077
- FRU 59G7925 for 500, ref findeis
- FRU 25H4879 for 760/765 and Dock II, ref findeis
Models featuring this Technology
- ThinkPad 220
- ThinkPad 310ED
- "365CD, 365ED systems ship with an external Floppy Disk Drive that has a non-detachable cable. FDD/Cable assembly FRU 75H7572" "365XD models ship with an external FDD that has a separate cable. The cable FRU is 74H0219, and the FDD FRU is 10H4056", Document ID: YAST-3FGSHU, kev009.com
- ThinkPad 760XD
- "part number 66G5069. It's one that works only on 760* and 765*", whizkid, forum.thinkpads.com
- FRU P/N: 66G5069, P/N: 66G3696, FCC ID: ANO66G3696, (blue 8beam IBM logo) 'Manufactured by IBM LTD' 'Made in Japan'
- "According to the Thinkpad HMM Vol. 4 Sept. 1997 - External Diskette Drive Box Kit 66G5069.", phool@round, forum.thinkpads.com
- Ext.-Diskette Drive (Opt. TOGP14M) 48G8263
- ThinkPad 730TE 730T 730TE Parts Listing (2524), kev009.com
- "Just wanted to advise that some of the newer Thinkpad's External Floppy Drives will function with the 730T. I was using the External floppy from my 765D system, FRU# 66G5069 P/N 66G3696. The floppy drive is also used in the following Thinkpad units, the 360, 355, 370, 701, 755, & 760. This drive unit should be easier and less expensive to obtain than the original unit" 730T/TE Tablet, kev009.com
Docks and Port Replicators featuring this Technology
- ThinkPad 365 Port Replicator
- ThinkPad 365X Port Replicator
- SelectaBase Model I
- SelectaBase 600
- SelectaBase 770
- ThinkPad MultiPort
- ThinkPad MultiPort II
- ThinkPad Dock I (3545)
- ThinkPad Dock II (3546) (one feeBay picture looks like 21 mm connector, cable has same plug/same gender at both ends)
- ThinkPad Port Replicator Model 1
- ThinkPad Port Replicator Model 2