Controlling the ThinkLight with the keyboard works on all systems since it relies on the BIOS exclusively. Just pressto toggle its state between on and off.
Software Control via thinkpad-acpi
Support for controlling the light with ACPI is provided by thinkpad-acpi. After installing it, a simple
# echo 255 > /sys/class/leds/tpacpi\:\:thinklight/brightness
switches it on and a
# echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/tpacpi\:\:thinklight/brightness
switches it off again.
This allows one to control the light in scripts. Unfortunately, no known ThinkPad comes with a light sensor (yet). ;)
To use these controls in scripts without root permissions, you should run
# chmod 666 /sys/class/leds/tpacpi\:\:thinklight/brightness, which is probably best done using udev.
- led-notification: Pidgin plugin to use any LED to indicate new messages. I've forked led-notification to support the ThinkLight via thinkpad-acpi. The plugins below either weren't compatible with the latest pidgin or didn't compile for me. The original author of led-notification seems MIA. Another fork pidgin-led-notification to write user defined strings (added to Gentoo/Linux)
- gaim-thinklight: If you are using GAIM, the gaim-thinklight plugin will enable you to use the ThinkLight as an indicator for new messages. This depends on thinkpad-acpi.
- gaim-lighthink: gaim-lightthink is an alternative to gaim-thinklight.
- pidgin-blinklight:pidgin-blinklight is a replacement for gaim-lighthink intended for use with Pidgin.
- rocklight: rocklight is a xmms visualization plugin that makes the ThinkLight flash to the beat of your music. The package also includes a standalone stroboscope mode program.
- thinkblinkd: Thinkblinkd is a python daemon to control the thinklight (and possibly other lights on your Thinkpad) it comes with the daemon and a control script.
- The script for theft alarm using HDAPS optionally flashes the ThinkLight when the alarm is armed (disabled by default, to enable set $use_light=1).
- kopete-thinklight: This plugin for kopete will enable the usage of the thinklight as notifiaction for new messages.
- stupid little hack to blink the ThinkLight:  A little C program that may be set SUID so that you can use it from non-privileged programs that needs to do a little notification.
- thinkalert:  Another C program that may be set SUID to allow non-privileged programs to manipulate the ThinkLight. Adds some features over the "stupid little hack to blink the ThinkLight" program.
- thinklight-notification: This Evolution plugin notifies the user with a blinking light whenever a new message has arrived.
- ThinkBlink: blink.sh is an universal bash script making ThinkLight blink. It can be used with any application.
Likewise, controlling the ThinkLight with the keyboard works without any additional software. The Hotkey Features software from IBM/Lenovo adds OSD icons that appear when the light is turned on/off.
Software control via Hotkey Features
The Hotkey Features software exposes an interface that allows (among other things) to control the ThinkLight. See Python script for Windows to control ThinkPad features for more information.
Models featuring this Technology
- ThinkPad i Series 1400, i Series 1460, i Series 1480, i Series 1482, i Series 1483, i Series 1492
- ThinkPad A20m, A20p, A21e, A21m, A21p, A22e, A22m, A22p, A30, A30p, A31, A31p, A275, A285, A475, A485
- ThinkPad Template:R14, Template:R15, R30, R31, R32, R40, R40e, R50, R50e, R50p, R51, R51e, R52, R60, R60e, R60i, R61, R61e, R61i, R400, R480, R490, R500, R580, R590
- ThinkPad T14, Template:T14s, T15, T20, T21, T22, T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61, T61p, T400, T400s, T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T430, T430i, T430s, T430si, T430u, T431s, T440, T440s, T440p, T450, T450s, T460, T460s, T460p, T470, T470s, T470p, T480, T480s, T490, T490s, T495, T495s, T500, T510, T510i, T520, T520i, T530, T530i, T540p, T550, T560, T570, T580, T590
- ThinkPad W500, W510, W520, W530, W540, W541, W550s, W700, W700ds, W701, W701ds
- ThinkPad X20, X21, X22, X23, X24, X30, X31, X32, X40, X41, X60, X60s, X61, X61s, X200, X200s, X201, X201s, X220, X300, X301
- ThinkPad Z60m, Z60t, Z61m
- ThinkPad S30, S31