Controlling the ThinkLight with the keyboard works on all systems since it relies on the BIOS exclusively. Just pressto toggle its state between on and off.
Software Control via ibm-acpi
Support for controlling the light with ACPI is provided by ibm-acpi. After installing it, a simple
# echo on > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
switches it on and a
# echo off > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
switches it off again.
This allows one to control the light in scripts. Unfortunately, no known ThinkPad comes with a light sensor (yet). ;)
Models featuring this Technology
- ThinkPad i Series 1460, i Series 1480, i Series 1482, i Series 1483, i Series 1492
- ThinkPad A20m, A20p, A21e, A21m, A21p, A22e, A22m, A22p, A30, A30p, A31, A31p, A275, A285, A475, A485
- ThinkPad Template:R14, Template:R15, R30, R31, R32, R40, R40e, R50, R50e, R50p, R51, R51e, R52, R60, R60e, R60i, R61, R61e, R61i, R400, R480, R490, R500, R580, R590
- ThinkPad T14, Template:T14s, T15, T20, T21, T22, T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61, T61p, T400, T400s, T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T430, T430i, T430s, T430si, T430u, T431s, T440, T440s, T440p, T450, T450s, T460, T460s, T460p, T470, T470s, T470p, T480, T480s, T490, T490s, T495, T495s, T500, T510, T510i, T520, T520i, T530, T530i, T540p, T550, T560, T570, T580, T590
- ThinkPad X20, X21, X22, X23, X24, X30, X31, X32, X40, X41