Install Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) on a ThinkPad T400s
I just started to write up this page as of 2009-08-12. Please expect more to come in the next couple of days. The "template" was taken from Ubuntu 9.04 on a T400. Of course at the moment [| Karmic Alpha3] is all you can get off the Net. The good news is: Everything works out of the box.
Backup your data. Maybe dd the rescue partition.
What works out of the box?
- Wireless with iwlagn driver (Intel WiFi Link 5100/5300 WLAN controller)
- G mode + WEP and WPA2 PSK
- with status LED and everything!
- Needs more testing. More to come
- Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03), module e1000e
- Intel driver for Integrated Graphics (Intel Integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD), module i915
- with 3D acceleration out-of-the-box
- VGA/HDMI output
- Needs more testing.
- Sound card
- module snd-hda-intel
- Optical drive
- built-in webcam (tested with skype, cheese and ekiga) (idVendor 0x17ef Lenovo, idProduct 0x480d, bcdDevice 23.38, iManufacturer 1 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.)
- 7-in-1 card reader from Ricoh (MMC, Memory Stick, Mem Stick Pro, SD, SDHC, XD, XD Type H Memory)
- Touchpoint and Trackpad (Tapping seems not to work., use gpointing-device-settings to configure)
- Control buttons/Hotkeys
- Volume control buttons
- Screen brightness control (FN + Home/End)
- Thinklight control (FN + PgUp)
- WLAN/BT/OFF toggle (Fn+F5 press once: Wlan and BT off/Press second time: BT off, Wlan on/Third time: BT on, Wlan off/Press another time: BT and Wlan on)
- To add a bluetooth-only-toggle (Fn+F6) that doesn't affect WLAN take a look here
- Wlan/BT hardware switch
- Media player control (FN + arrows)
- Browser history buttons
- Switch to extern Monitor (FN + F7 press once: picture on both monitors/Second time: on external Monitor/Third time: Laptop monitor)
- Suspend shortcut (FN + F4)
- Hibernate shortcut (FN + F12)
- Battery info shortcut (FN + F3)
- Screenlock shortcut (FN + F2)
- dock eject button (FN + F9) not tested yet!
- ThinkVantage Button (You only have to allocate a programm!)
- Some ACPI features
- Battery status, power graphs and history (tested with an single 6-Cell battery)
- Lid states and events
Stay tuned, more to come.