Install Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) on a ThinkPad T400s
On this page experiences, tips, and tricks how to get most out of a Lenovo T400s are collected. Everyone is invited to share his part. Feedback is very welcome. No warranty that any of the information on this page may harm your hard- or software is given.
I started to write up this page as of 2009-08-12. It is work in progress. The "template" was taken from Ubuntu 9.04 on a T400. The good news is: Nearly everything works out of the box on Karmic . Where are the good old times it took you a couple of nights to get a new box up and running? ;)
Backup your data. Maybe dd the rescue partition.
There is a Bios upgrade available. Not sure if it is required. Install from a CD went smoothly.
What works out of the box?
- Wireless with iwlagn driver (Intel WiFi Link 5100/5300 WLAN controller)
- G mode + WEP and WPA2 PSK
- With status LED and everything! (LED does not work for ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III)
- version: 1.3.27k
- Firmware: iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
- Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0a5c:2145 Broadcom Corp.
- With status LED and everything!
- Tested with Motorola headset HT820. After connecting with Blueman the audio device shows up in pulseaudio
- Tested with Nokia 810 and BlueMaemo (Mouse, Keyboard)
- Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
- module e1000e
- UMTS 3G modem: Ericsson F3507g (Ericsson_F3507g_Mobile_Broadband_Module)
- Tested successfully with Networkmanager in Germany (Vodafone D2 and E-Plus)
- Intel driver for Integrated Graphics (Intel Integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD), module i915
- with 3D acceleration out-of-the-box
- VGA/HDMI output
- xrandr support
- Using HDMI nearly every day
- VGA works too (less tested)
- Sound card
- module snd-hda-intel
- Internal mic
- Optical drive
- tested cd/dvd read
- tested cd-r, cd-rw (also blank) write
- built-in webcam (tested with skype, cheese and ekiga) (idVendor 0x17ef Lenovo, idProduct 0x480d, bcdDevice 23.38, iManufacturer 1 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.)
- 7-in-1 card reader Ricoh Co Ltd Device e822 (rev 01)(MMC, Memory Stick, Mem Stick Pro, SD, SDHC, XD, XD Type H Memory)
- tested with SD card
- Touchpoint and Trackpad
- Use gpointing-device-settings to configure)
- x-axis range 1472 - 5472
- y-axis range 1408 - 4448
- pressure range 0 - 255
- no idea how to use gestures/multitouch
- Control buttons/Hotkeys
- Volume control buttons
- Audio out mute button
- Screen brightness control (FN + Home/End)
- Thinklight control (FN + PgUp)
- WLAN/BT/OFF toggle (Fn+F5 press once: Wlan and BT off/Press second time: BT off, Wlan on/Third time: BT on, Wlan off/Press another time: BT and Wlan on)
- To add a bluetooth-only-toggle (Fn+F6) that doesn't affect WLAN take a look here
- Wlan/BT hardware switch
- Media player control (FN + arrows)
- Browser history buttons
- Switch to extern Monitor (FN + F7 press once: picture on both monitors/Second time: on external Monitor/Third time: Laptop monitor)
- Suspend shortcut (FN + F4)
- Hibernate shortcut (FN + F12)
- Battery info shortcut (FN + F3)
- Screenlock shortcut (FN + F2)
- dock eject button (FN + F9) not tested yet!
- ThinkVantage Button (You only have to allocate a programm!)
- Some ACPI features
- Battery status, power graphs and history (tested with an single 6-Cell battery)
- Lid states and events
- Suspend works
- Hibernate works
What doesn't work out of the box?
- Microphone mute button (You get a key event though)
- bluetoothd sometimes dies while suspend/hibernate
- Fix: restart bluetoothd
- 3G modem is not available after suspend/hibernate
- unload and load cdc_wdm
- echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/rfkill/rfkill1/state
I promise to pimp my helper scripts that do all that automatically and release them soon (TM).
Please feel free to edit this page. If you have trouble, comments, etc. please contact me.
Stay tuned, more to come.