Difference between revisions of "Install Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) on a ThinkPad T400s"
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
this page to of a . . is . of the .
Ubuntu . of .
Revision as of 20:49, 24 November 2009
On this page experiences, tips, and tricks how to get most out of a Lenovo T400s are collected. Everyone is invited to share his part. Feedback is very welcome. No warranty that any of the information on this page may harm your hard- or software is given.
I started to write up this page as of 2009-08-12. It is work in progress. The "template" was taken from Ubuntu 9.04 on a T400. The good news is: Nearly everything works out of the box on [[ http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/910features | Karmic ]]. Where are the good old times it took you a couple of nights to get a new box up and running? ;)
Backup your data. Maybe dd the rescue partition.
There is a Bios upgrade available. Not sure if it is required. Install from a CD went smoothly.
What works out of the box?
- Wireless with iwlagn driver (Intel WiFi Link 5100/5300 WLAN controller)
- G mode + WEP and WPA2 PSK
- With status LED and everything! (LED does not work for ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III)
- version: 1.3.27k
- Firmware: iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
- Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0a5c:2145 Broadcom Corp.
- With status LED and everything!
- Tested with Motorola headset HT820. After connecting with Blueman you need to register the headset using
pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=bluetooth
- Tested with Nokia 810 and BlueMaemo (Mouse, Keyboard)
- Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
- module e1000e
- UMTS 3G modem: Ericsson F3507g (Ericsson_F3507g_Mobile_Broadband_Module)
- Tested successfully with Networkmanager in Germany (Vodafone D2)
- Intel driver for Integrated Graphics (Intel Integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD), module i915
- with 3D acceleration out-of-the-box
- VGA/HDMI output
- Needs more testing.
- Sound card
- module snd-hda-intel
- Optical drive
- tested cd/dvd read
- tested cd-r, cd-rw (also blank) write
- built-in webcam (tested with skype, cheese and ekiga) (idVendor 0x17ef Lenovo, idProduct 0x480d, bcdDevice 23.38, iManufacturer 1 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.)
- 7-in-1 card reader Ricoh Co Ltd Device e822 (rev 01)(MMC, Memory Stick, Mem Stick Pro, SD, SDHC, XD, XD Type H Memory)
- tested with SD card
- Touchpoint and Trackpad
- Tapping seems not to work.
- Use gpointing-device-settings to configure)
- x-axis range 1472 - 5472
- y-axis range 1408 - 4448
- pressure range 0 - 255
- no idea how to use gestures/multitouch
- Control buttons/Hotkeys
- Volume control buttons
- Screen brightness control (FN + Home/End)
- Thinklight control (FN + PgUp)
- WLAN/BT/OFF toggle (Fn+F5 press once: Wlan and BT off/Press second time: BT off, Wlan on/Third time: BT on, Wlan off/Press another time: BT and Wlan on)
- To add a bluetooth-only-toggle (Fn+F6) that doesn't affect WLAN take a look here
- Wlan/BT hardware switch
- Media player control (FN + arrows)
- Browser history buttons
- Switch to extern Monitor (FN + F7 press once: picture on both monitors/Second time: on external Monitor/Third time: Laptop monitor)
- Suspend shortcut (FN + F4)
- Hibernate shortcut (FN + F12)
- Battery info shortcut (FN + F3)
- Screenlock shortcut (FN + F2)
- dock eject button (FN + F9) not tested yet!
- ThinkVantage Button (You only have to allocate a programm!)
- Some ACPI features
- Battery status, power graphs and history (tested with an single 6-Cell battery)
- Lid states and events
- Suspend works
- Hibernate works
Please feel free to edit this page. If you have trouble, comments, etc. please contact me.
Stay tuned, more to come.