How to reduce power consumption
Reducing system power consumption will extend battery life, reduce system temperature and (on some models) reduce system fan noise. This page summarizes the known techniques for reducing power consumption on ThinkPad laptops under Linux. The power numbers given (in Watt) are very rough and model-specific.
System power states
- How to make use of Graphics Chips Power Management features
- Problem with high power drain in ACPI sleep
- Reduce LCD brightness (~1-4W difference)
- Disable CRT output (~0.5W difference)
Spinning down the disk saves about 1W.
The optical drive consumes about 1W even when not accessed.
- Eject the UltraBay optical drive, or just turn off its power supply (i.e., run the appropriate eject script but leave the drive inserted).
- Reduce the spinning speed of the optical drive.
Consumes about 0.5W when running.
Consumes up to ~4W.
- Activate power saving on the wireless network card
Causes significant power draw due to bus mastering (affects CPU C-state). Disable by unloading modules, or unbinding the devices in sysfs.
Consumes about 0.3W. Disable by unloading modules or
# echo -n 3 > /sys/class/sound/controlC0/device/power/state (replace 3 by 0 to enable again).