HDAPS - IBM Active Protection System Linux Driver
This is the Linux driver for monitoring the acceleratometer known as IBM Active Protection System.
The driver only enables reading of the acceleration data. It does not perform automatic disk head parking. But there are already some other useful applications for HDAPS, using the /sys interface it provides.
- provides accelerometer values via sysfs
- provides a joystick type input device
Project Homepage / Availability
- Project Homepage
- The driver is included in the 2.6-mm series of kernels since August, 26th 2005.
- The driver is now in the mainline (2.6.14). (use as modul if you want use tp_smapi, Gentoo and X41)
A driver is included in recent Linux kernels and is actively maintained.
As mentioned above, the hdaps kernel driver is only responsible for reading the accelerometer data and exporting it through the sysfs interface. In order to use this information to protect the disk, some additional steps are required.
Input device support
The hdaps driver in the lastest kernels (2.6.14 and later?) also exports a joystick type input device, which can be used by games.
Disk head parking
- Kernel patch
- disk park patch an experimental patch for parking the disk (Linux 2.6.14 for 2.6.15 see below)
- disk park patch adapted for the t41p model kernel 2.6.14 *(capability detection disabled, no libata support)
- disk park patch adapted for the t41p model kernel 2.6.15 *(capability detection disabled, no libata support)
- sata/ide disk protection patch for 2.6.15
- Latest sata/ide disk protection patch for 2.6.16
- Userspace daemon
- GUI monitoring
See How to protect the harddisk through APS for more information.
Security & safety
Visualisation (of ThinkPad orientation)
- hdaps-gl a little app animating a 3D-ThinkPad
- hdapsgl-applet a GNOME applet animating a 3D-ThinkPad
- wmadhps a WindowMaker DockApp animating a 3D-ThinkPad
- OpenGL gyroscope hack keeps your display levelled when tilting the ThinkPad
- Robert Love mentions a Neverball patch on his blog to keep the display aligned. However, the link there seems broken.
- HDAPS mailinglist and its archive
- #hdaps channel on irc.freenode.org
- hdaps projects overview of userspace programs using hdaps
- IBM ThinkPads hardware drive firmware site
- http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=119845 Gentoo ebuild for hdaps driver and daemon including a initscript