HDAPS - IBM Active Protection System Linux Driver
This is the Linux driver for the IBM Active Protection System.
- prints accelerometer values
- uses userspace tool to park HD
Project Homepage / Availability
- Project Homepage
- The driver is included in the 2.6-mm series of kernels since August, 26th 2005.
- The driver is now in the mainline (2.6.14).
A driver is included in recent Linux kernels and is actively maintained. However, presently the driver only enables reading of the acceleration data; it does not perform automatic disk head parking. The latter feature is under development. But there are already some useful applications for HDAPS, using the /sys interface it provides. See below.
Security & Safety
- disk park patch an experimental patch for parking the disk
- disk park patch adapted for the t41p model kernel 2.6.14 (capability detection disabled, no libsata support)
- disk park patch adapted for the t41p model kernel 2.6.15 (capability detection disabled, no libsata support)
- Updated sata/ide disk protection patches for 2.6.15
- Script for theft alarm using HDAPS
- hdaps-gl a little app animating a 3D-ThinkPad
- hdapsgl-applet a GNOME applet animating a 3D-ThinkPad
- wmadhps a WindowMaker DockApp animating a 3D-ThinkPad
- OpenGL gyroscope hack keeps your display levelled when tilting the ThinkPad
- HDAPS mailinglist and its archive
- #hdaps channel on irc.freenode.org
- hdaps projects overview of userspace programs using hdaps
- IBM ThinkPads hardware drive firmware site
- http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100167 Gentoo ebuild for hdaps driver and daemon including a initscript