Has anybody got useful suggestions? Feel free to tell them!
--akw 11:46, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Suggestion: Introduction of Model-Type Categories
first, thx for sysoping me. I feel honored. ;)
I just thought that we could have categories representing the TP models (not too detailed)...like ThinkpadR50, ThinkpadT40p, ThinkpadA21 and so on.
This way we could add the specs, install notes and other pages to the according models category and this way provide a means of crossreferenced "show me all info about my model" access.
What do you think?
Wyrfel 12:13, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
We could add the category views to the List in the Models section, since the specs are only attached to the model-numbers, not to the general name of the models.
Wyrfel 12:16, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Yes, that's a good idea, let's do it. I like the mediawiki category concept.
--akw 13:01, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Hei, it works great.
Seems like we got a good start. ;-) I mean, two days and we already have some really useful cross reference information gathering functionality!
However, i have three general issues we should make decisions about:
- If we rename all the Model categories to just T40, 600, X23, they would not all be sorted under T in the Models category, hence leading to better organisation. The backdrawing is that this causes them to spread out in the category listing that one can get by clicking on the Categories link of categorised pages. I think the advantage is bigger than the backdrawing, right? (Good that i just added a lot of them to different pages. ;) )
- We are using these strange not very expressive internal link names. Mediawiki seems to handle expressive names quite well, so shouldn't we just use real page titles as their links? Makes things easier for editors, makes things more readable in Category views and finally gives us nicer titles to the pages.
- Is there a way here to get some kind of back-buttons automatically included into the pages? I've seen that the wiki does this on subpages of userpages, but i tried giving hirarchical link structures (with slashes) in the install section and it didn't work the same way. Else i think we should sooner or later start including them by hand.
Greets...Wyrfel 19:38, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Hi, I think so too, hope some others from the mailing list will join the building process.
- Renaming of the model categories: I think it's a good idea! I see if I can patch the mediawiki software to the the Categories link point to Category:Main_Page. I don't like the Special:Categories anyway, because it shows no treeview.
- awful pagenames: YES! T40psidInstallation could be also Installing Debian/Sid on a T40p. Would be much nicer. :-)
- back-buttons:I don't know if there is an automatically working template or something. I will find it out.
By the way: I saw you are experimenting with designs for the mainpage. My approach was just a quick hack (basically copying from wikipedia..) So if you have something nice-looking, just apply it! :-)
See you, akw 13:13, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
ok, i'll start adjusting pages then. I agree to your point about the Category view...having the Link point to Categories:Main_Page would be nicer.
Concerning the designs...i'd like to experiment a bit more before applying it to the page...not really satisfied so far. However - i got used to your block layout. ;)
Wyrfel 13:28, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
- Category:Main_Page link patch: done.
--akw 14:09, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Great work. I think we are through with point 1 and 2 now.
The Category-Main page looks nice with the pic. I thought that we could add a specific picture to each Models category page. Would be nice. I started gathering pictures the like of yours (white background, isometric perspective). I could scale them to a standard size. Do you have any idea where i could find them all at once or more quickly than searching google images? (Also thought about creating icons for the main page, but that will take a while (to be expected in november the earliest.)
Wyrfel 15:28, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)