Has anybody got useful suggestions? Feel free to tell them!
--akw 11:46, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Suggestion: Introduction of Model-Type Categories
first, thx for sysoping me. I feel honored. ;)
I just thought that we could have categories representing the TP models (not too detailed)...like ThinkpadR50, ThinkpadT40p, ThinkpadA21 and so on.
This way we could add the specs, install notes and other pages to the according models category and this way provide a means of crossreferenced "show me all info about my model" access.
What do you think?
Wyrfel 12:13, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
We could add the category views to the List in the Models section, since the specs are only attached to the model-numbers, not to the general name of the models.
Wyrfel 12:16, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Yes, that's a good idea, let's do it. I like the mediawiki category concept.
--akw 13:01, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Hei, it works great.
Seems like we got a good start. ;-) I mean, two days and we already have some really useful cross reference information gathering functionality!
However, i have three general issues we should make decisions about:
- If we rename all the Model categories to just T40, 600, X23, they would not all be sorted under T in the Models category, hence leading to better organisation. The backdrawing is that this causes them to spread out in the category listing that one can get by clicking on the Categories link of categorised pages. I think the advantage is bigger than the backdrawing, right? (Good that i just added a lot of them to different pages. ;) )
- We are using these strange not very expressive internal link names. Mediawiki seems to handle expressive names quite well, so shouldn't we just use real page titles as their links? Makes things easier for editors, makes things more readable in Category views and finally gives us nicer titles to the pages.
- Is there a way here to get some kind of back-buttons automatically included into the pages? I've seen that the wiki does this on subpages of userpages, but i tried giving hirarchical link structures (with slashes) in the install section and it didn't work the same way. Else i think we should sooner or later start including them by hand.
Greets...Wyrfel 19:38, 25 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Hi, I think so too, hope some others from the mailing list will join the building process.
- Renaming of the model categories: I think it's a good idea! I see if I can patch the mediawiki software to the the Categories link point to Category:Main_Page. I don't like the Special:Categories anyway, because it shows no treeview.
- awful pagenames: YES! T40psidInstallation could be also Installing Debian/Sid on a T40p. Would be much nicer. :-)
- back-buttons:I don't know if there is an automatically working template or something. I will find it out.
By the way: I saw you are experimenting with designs for the mainpage. My approach was just a quick hack (basically copying from wikipedia..) So if you have something nice-looking, just apply it! :-)
See you, akw 13:13, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
ok, i'll start adjusting pages then. I agree to your point about the Category view...having the Link point to Categories:Main_Page would be nicer.
Concerning the designs...i'd like to experiment a bit more before applying it to the page...not really satisfied so far. However - i got used to your block layout. ;)
Wyrfel 13:28, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
- Category:Main_Page link patch: done.
--akw 14:09, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
Great work. I think we are through with point 1 and 2 now.
The Category-Main page looks nice with the pic. I thought that we could add a specific picture to each Models category page. Would be nice. I started gathering pictures the like of yours (white background, isometric perspective). I could scale them to a standard size. Do you have any idea where i could find them all at once or more quickly than searching google images? (Also thought about creating icons for the main page, but that will take a while (to be expected in november the earliest.)
Wyrfel 15:28, 26 Sep 2004 (CEST)
i just transformed all the distro pages into categories, gives similar advantages as with the ThinkPad models. Also relayouted them a bit while at it.
The bad news is that today is the last day i can do something, probably until middle of october, since the Telekom doesn't manage to give me a new phoneline in time, and from 6th to 12th i'll be in holidays. So good luck...i hope i get the line earlier, but you know the Telekom, i guess.
Wyrfel 12:16, 29 Sep 2004 (CEST)
YES... I know the Telekom... Happy holidays, anyway :-) Thanks for all the work.
Ciao, akw 12:54, 29 Sep 2004 (CEST)
great work you did there again! Some suggestions: A sorting mechanism would be nice (best via up and down arrows on the table headers like in gtk apps) and a filter functionality (via select boxes in the table headers maybe?). Also, the dynamic page doesn't have a talk page associated, do you think you might be able to move it there?
Best wishes... Wyrfel 01:48, 13 Oct 2004 (CEST)
- Sorting/Filtering: Yes, I thought about that, too: I will do it when I find time.
- Talk page: Unfortunately, "SpecialPages" cannot have discussion. So I put the discussion on the Header-Template (Template:Benchmarks_Header) which appears on the top of Special:Benchmarks.
--akw 12:59, 14 Oct 2004 (CEST)
I finished sorting and filtering now. Just have a look at it. :-)
--akw 21:54, 15 Oct 2004 (CEST)
I'm impressed. ;) Really. Do you do something in the web area professionally?
Thanks! Not yet, I am still a student, but I hope I'll get my studies finished in March/April 2005.
--akw 15:19, 16 Oct 2004 (CEST)
edit page modding?
can you tell me how i can change the edit pages footer? Can't find any info about it and would like to put the policies page there. Is there a special template for this?
Wyrfel 06:41, 29 Dec 2004 (CET)
Hmm, don't know. I'll have a look.. Thanks for creating Help:Editing, that's great!
Have a happy new year!
--akw 20:31, 30 Dec 2004 (CET)
184.108.40.206 04:43, 31 Dec 2004 (CET)
Hei, please let the logo contest go until 28th of february at least, i'd like to submit something, but I'll be on holidays until 23rd. ;-)
Wyrfel 03:34, 27 Jan 2005 (CET)
superb! that's great!
--akw 10:20, 28 Jan 2005 (CET)
could you please update the MediaWiki to at least 1.4? We have the problem that one can't use the same template more than 5 times on one page. This is fixed since 1.4. Thanks a lot.
Wyrfel 03:00, 2 May 2005 (CEST)
Are you sure the 'R51p' exists?
There is no mention of it on the IBM support site, and tabook.pdf, trwbook.pdf, tawbook.pdf or twbook.pdf also does not mention it.
You're right, removed it.
Wyrfel 13:02, 5 May 2005 (CEST)
This is great! Thanks a lot. Unfortunately i can't help with the mod_rewrite problem. At work we had trouble with it as well, but i don't know any details about it. Good luck!
User:Wyrfel 12:46, 12 May 2005 (CEST)
Me agian. ;-) Just wanted to thank you for fixing the image display. (In case this happend accidentially...some images weren't found after the update. It seems to work for all of them now again.)
Wyrfel 02:31, 20 May 2005 (CEST)
Can you move the following pages:
These machines where marketed with lower-case 'c'
- 360CS -> 360Cs
- 750CS -> 750Cs
- 755CS -> 755Cs
All the Other 'CS' where marketed with upper-case, so they are fine.
Also can you delete the '701' page, it never existed as discussed on its talk page.
Did these. We also have a mention of a 750e on the 750 Family Device Support in Linux page. This doesn't have a category page, yet and information seems hard to gather. Tonko, if you know anything about it..... ;-)
Wyrfel 00:05, 27 May 2005 (CEST)
I guess you mean the reference to a '750Ce'. I can find no reference to it in tabook, and also my EMEA references make no mention of it, so I doubt it was sold in either the Americas or EMEA. Could this simply be confusion with the 755CE?
Can you delete the '365' page, such a machine did not exist.
What did exist was the 365CS, 365C, 365CSD and 365CD for which I created pages.
Also are you sure the 700T existed? it is not in twbook, and my EMEA references do not have it either.