Ultrabay SATA HDD Caddy
Using an after-market caddy causes the kernel to complain that it was "limited to UDMA/33 due to 40-wire cable". But I was able to over-ride that by adding
libata.force=2:80c to /boot/grub/grub.conf. Now connects at UDMA5, 100 MB/s.
USB 2.0 Ports
I added a PCMCIA card with 2 USB 2.0 parts on it. Automagically identified and configured. Write testing showed it 4 times faster than stock USB 1.0 ports. Command for write testing:
$ tiotest -t 1 -f 700
Read testing wasn't working right. I may just use a stopwatch.
PCMCIA CompactFlash card reader
I'm trying to get a generic PCMCIA CF-card reader to work. It's automagically seen and configured, but it's forced to PIO0 mode, which is slower than erosion. The CF card I'm using, TS8GCF133, purportedly supports DMA modes, but I can't seem to get the system to recognize that. I also can't get any PIO mode other than 0 to work. It may be the no-name adapter I'm using.
This isn't good news:
Does this also mean that mwdma is right out? Can I at least get a better PIO mode than 0?
I can't read c code for crap, but I think that pio0 mode might actually be hard-coded into the pata_pcmcia driver. The kernel consistently identifies the CF card correctly, and says it will do pio4, then steadfastly refuses to make that ata port anything other than pio0.
And yet the USB card operates as EHCI just fine.
I installed a second 1 GB stick of RAM. System recognized it and seems to be happy with it. That makes a total of 2 GB.
Connecting Cell Phone
I couldn't connect my Samsung SGH-T669 as a Mass Storage device, despite having set the phone to MTP mode.
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 10 usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=f000 usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=3 usb 2-2: Product: Qualcomm Configuration usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Qualcomm, Incorporated usb 2-2: SerialNumber: [serialnumber] scsi8 : usb-storage 2-2:1.0 mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 10: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb2/2-2" mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 10 was not an MTP device usb_modeswitch: switching 04e8:f000 (Qualcomm, Incorporated: Qualcomm Configuration)
The problem is usb_modeswitch. It's trying to do something fancy with setting up the phone to be a modem. I disabled usb_modeswitch, and the phone connected like a USB mass storage device. (Well, the microSD card connected, which is all I wanted.)
I went to /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf and changed "DisableSwitching=0" to "DisableSwitching=1". Viola!
At some point I should see if I can figure out what the usb_modeswitch stuff should be and send it off to the developers.
Link in stuff from the Lenovo Support site about "under linux".
Transclude info from .