Installing openSUSE 10.2 on an IBM ThinkPad T60
- 1 Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (model 2623-D6U)
- 1.1 Hardware Details
- 1.2 Software Details
- 1.3 Installation procedure
- 1.4 What works out of the box
- 1.5 What had to be configured by hand
- 1.6 What doesn't work yet
- 1.7 Not tested yet
- 1.8 lscpi
- 2 References / Resources
Lenovo ThinkPad T60 (model 2623-D6U)
- Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB)
- 2GB RAM (2 NonParity DDR2 SDRAM SoDIMM PC2-5300)
- ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
- 14.? inch XGA (1400x1040)
- 80GB, 5400rpm Serial ATA (Hitachi HTS541080G9SA00)
- Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
- SD Card Reader
- 56K V.92 Modem
- openSUSE 10.2 retail DVD9 iso
You could start the installation procedure using a USB Stick. instructions to set up a boot USB key. This contains GRUB and the loader for the installer. The actual installation media was on an NFS share. To set this up, copy the contents of the CDS/DVD into a directory (or mount the DVD iso image loopback) then share the directory containing CD1 via NFS, is the simplest way. Sharing the DVD as a SMB share works from windows, too.
You could also install over the network or using the DVD or CD's.
Installation from USB Key Notes
Press F12 during POST to get the boot selector menu up, choose the USB Key. This boots into GRUB. Press F4 here to set the installation source to NFS or SMB as needed, and enter the server details. For example, with SMB, enter the server name, the name of the share, and the directory where the first CD's contents are, eg 'CD1'. Now the installer is loaded from the share and proceeds as a usual SUSE install. No special steps are required during the install, but read the documentation about preserving or moving the ThinkVantage rescue partition before you commit to the installation.
What works out of the box
- Ethernet adaptor
- Intel 3945ABG Wireless ethernet adapter
- VESA Graphics (crappy, yet functional out of box)
- Sound playback
Power management etc
- Suspend to disk (Fn+F12)
- Suspend to RAM (Fn+F4)
- Disable display (Fn+F3)
- CPU speed stepping (required BIOS update to 2.05 though)
- LCD Brightness depending on current power scheme, via KPowersave and HAL
- Volume control, keyboard light and screen brightness control
- Lid switch (LCD off when lid closed, resume from suspend to RAM when opened)
- Multimedia keys with KMix and Amarok
- Browser back/forward keys with Konqueror
What had to be configured by hand
- Mouse wheel emulation, set "Emulate Mouse wheel with button 2" in SaX2 mouse settings
- (From X60 Howto, unconfirmed) Keyboard dead keys for international characters, set "Right Alt is Compose" in SaX2 keyboard settings, then ralt-shift-2, a => Ã¤
- (From X60 Howto, unconfirmed) Sound recording, using KMix or other mixer, set the mic as capture source, turn it up, enable and turn up 'Capture' channel.
- By default the fan runs all the time. If power management on the ipw3945 is enabled, it only runs about 1/3 of the time. Use 'iwpriv eth1 set_power 7' to enable power management - this comes at the cost of increasing latency when using wireless. See the ipw3495 README for details
Acceleration for ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
You will need to follow this howto to install the driver:
Make sure to install gcc and kernel-source before running the ati-driver-installer program.
After that, you should be able to set up dual headed modes w/external LCD's and all that other fun stuff.
By default you can use the right and bottom edges of your touchpad to scroll through documents. If you use the TrackPoint instad of the touchpad, you'll find that scrolling is disabled by default. To enable it, edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Now find the entry for your TrackPoint device. It looks something like this:
Section "InputDevice" Driver "mouse" Identifier "Mouse" Option "Buttons" "5" Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice" Option "Name" "Colorado Kensington Mouse-in-a-box" Option "Protocol" "explorerps/2" Option "Vendor" "Sysp" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection
Now, add the following two options in that InputDevice section:
Option "EmulateWheel" "on" Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Save and exit the file. Restart your ThinkPad (or logout, and press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE). You should now be able to scoll by holding down the middle button for your TrackPoint and using the TrackPoint to scroll.
What doesn't work yet
Not tested yet
- Fingerprint Security
- PCMCIA slot
- Embedded Security Subsystem (TCPA)
- Active Protection System (HDAPS)
- Maximum battery life
> lspci 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03) 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03) 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02) 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02) 00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02) 00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02) 00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02) 00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02) 00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02) 00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02) 00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02) 00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) 00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2) 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02) 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02) 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller AHCI (rev 02) 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02) 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M52 [ATI Mobility Radeon X1300] 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02) 15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PC card Cardbus Controller
References / Resources
- Get lots of multimedia stuff installed (like DVD playback, RealPlayer, and QuickTime...)