Installing Ubuntu 6.04 on a ThinkPad X41
This is a draft on how to get Ubuntu 6.04 on the ThinkPad X41
Penguin Liberation Front
deb http://packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free
deb-src http://packages.freecontrib.org/ubuntu/plf/ dapper free non-free
$ apt-get install realplay
deb http://free.linux.hp.com/~brett/seveas/freenx dapper-seveas freenx
The proxy package doesn't exist. It's not a problem. I choose to use the FreeNX key.
Swiss keyboard encoding
$ setxkbmap ch (for Swiss German)
$ setxkbmap ch -variant fr (for Swiss French)
$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
sudo mv blogbridge-2.16.tgz /usr/share/
sudo tar xvzf blogbridge-2.16.tgz
mv blogbridge-2.16 blogbridge
To use the blue middle TrackPoint button as a scroll wheel (using the red TrackPoint itself to scroll up and down), do the following. In a terminal, enter these commands:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-original
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In the editor, find the section headed Section â€œInputDeviceâ€ / Identifier â€œConfigured Mouseâ€ and add the following lines above the â€œEndSectionâ€ line:
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Save the file. Logout, restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log in again. Source for this item: Many ThinkPad-related sites, confirmed by experiment.
- Note this gives vertical scrolling with a ThinkPad X40 running Ubuntu 6.10 Egdy Eft
- Another note from a different user: I just applied this edit running Edgy Eft on my ThinkPad 390E and found that it works perfectly for me.
- Another note from a different user: I just applied this to my ThinkPad x40 with Dapper Drake on it and it's working!!
- Another note from yet another user: this fix has just worked perfectly with Ubuntu 6.10 on my Z60m.
- Another note from yet another user: this fix has just worked perfectly with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty on my T43p.
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt dapper main
$ apt-get install wine
$ run winecfg --> Windows2000
Suspend to RAM
You need to install this update:
$ dpkg -i acpi-support_0.85_i386.deb
After installing this package, the on-screen volume control does not work anymore ... can anyone confirm this. (did a lot of changes to my system, so I do not know if this reason.)
SBB06 (Swiss Railway Timetable)
wine /home/cgaspoz/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/CFF.06/HAFASWIN.EXE
cp SBB/BIN/sbb.ico /usr/share/pixmaps
wine /home/cgaspoz/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/EndNote\ 9/EndNote.exe
gdiplus.dll not found? copy GDIPLUS.DLL from a Windows box to .wine/drive_c/windows/system32
$ apt-get install cabextract
Download and run ies4linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html)
Nice templates for Qt (Skype, Eric3, ...)
- This guide is listed at the TuxMobil Linux laptop and notebook installation survey (IBM/Lenovo).