Installation instructions for the ThinkPad X61
The X61 is apparently very similar to a T61 internally. You may be able to find helpful tips in the installation instructions for the Installation instructions for the Thinkpad T61 for problems that are not solved here.
There is an Ubuntu forum thread on installing Feisty Fawn on the X61.
These Slackware installation instructions are also revealing.
X61 won't boot from the CD-ROM/DVD drive (Solved)
Follow these instructions to enable your optical drive:
- Reboot your X61. Press the ThinkVantage button quickly when you see the ThinkPad screen and then press F1 to enter BIOS.
- In BIOS, select Configure -> Serial ATA.
- Now, select Compatibility instead of AHCI.
- Exit BIOS and start your computer normally.
Suspend/Resume doesn't work out of the box (Solved)
Under GNOME, Suspend/Resume doesn't work out of the box. Fn-F4 does suspend and lid open does resume, but the backlight is off after resume.
To fix this, do the following:
- In the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, find the line beginning with "# kopt=". This is where grub sets the options for your kernel. Append to this line the following: " acpi_sleep=s3_bios". (That is, these words should be preceded by a space separating them from the existing options. Do not remove the initial "#" from the line.)
- Run the command update-grub as root.
Known Issues under Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
- Sound doesn't work. This should be fixed by the ALSA 1.0.15 release, due out in mid-September 2007.
- Wireless doesn't work.
- 2D graphics works fine, but there is no 3D acceleration yet.
Fixes analogous to those for the T61 may address these.
Further note: when you get sound working through ALSA, go to System->Preferences->Sound->Devices and select PCM. This will enable your Volume button to work.