Install Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) on a ThinkPad T500
T500 Site under construction. You are invited building an useful guidance!
Before you can start Ubuntu from CD or USB you have to change two BIOS settings:
- Change to Internal or ATI Graphics with Config --> Display --> Graphics Device --> [Integrated graphics] or [Discrete Graphics]
- Disable OS Detection for Switchable Graphics. Otherwise it will mysteriously switch back to Switchable Graphics.
Now you can boot your Live-CD, connect to Wireless Lan, and install the OS.
What works out of the box?
- Wireless with iwlagn driver (Intel WiFi Link 5100/5300 WLAN controller)
- G mode + WEP, WPA and WPA2.
- with status LED and everything!
- I could connect my nokia mobile phone through bluetooth
- Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller
- Intel driver for Integrated Graphics (Intel Integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD)
- with 3D acceleration out-of-the-box
- VGA output - mirrored, other not fixed yet
- ATI fglrx doesn't matter for me at the moment. Intel Graphics works fine!
- Touchpoint and Trackpad
- Including scroll at the right side of the pad by default.
- Optical drive
- Not tested burning yet.
- Sound card
- To use your internal microphone you have to change to "HDA Intel CONEXANT Analog (ALSA)" in audio-settings.
- 7-in-1 card reader from Ricoh (MMC, Memory Stick, Mem Stick Pro, SD, SDHC, XD, XD Type H Memory)
- Only tested SD cards.
- Control buttons/Hotkeys
- Volume control buttons
- Screen brightness control works fine. So there is a strange behaviour. If you change the brightness to dark it gets darker then it gets a bit lighter and after view steps it stay dark. The display of ubuntu shows that it is maximum dark or maximum light, but it still changes. Not a real problem though.
- Thinklight control
- WLAN/BT/OFF toggle (Fn+F5 and mechanical toggle)
- Media player control
- Some ACPI features: Works great with "Listen".
- Battery status, power graphs and history (tested with an single 6-Cell battery)
- Lid states and events
Enabling Touchpad on/off key
Source: [] The SHMConfig is now controlled through hal. In the past this was done through xorg.conf
You have to add the file
with the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <deviceinfo version="0.2"> <device> <match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics"> <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">True</merge> </match> </device> </deviceinfo>
Links for more information
Most stuff is identical to T400. so watch this link Install_Ubuntu_8.10_(Intrepid_Ibex)_on_a_Thinkpad_T400 I will add more information in the next days. Please contribute, if you have more information!