Problem with Dock USB Ports
ThinkPad T30 model 2366-M1U
- BIOS Version 2.08
- Embedded Controller Version 1.06
Currently Running a Dock II model 2631-20U
- Debian sarge with Linux 2.6.10-4 from sid
When the laptop is running in the dock, the USB ports are not fuctional. This is the only error that I have seen in the kernel.
- hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
It doesn't matter whether a device is plugged into one of the two USB ports on the back of the dock.
My original dock worked just fine. The problem only seems to exist with my new dock when running Linux. The Dock's USB ports do work in Windows XP. I have tried various kernel versions through out the last few weeks. Is anybody else having similiar issues?
Tested with Knoppix 3.7 running Linux Kernel 2.4.27 When the mouse is plugged into the top port on the dock, I get this error:
- hub.c: Cannot enable port 1 of hub 1, disabling port.
- hub.c: Maybe the USB cable is bad?
When the mouse is plugged into the bottom port I don't get an error, but the mouse isn't detected either. When the laptop is not plugged into the dock and a mouse is plugged in, the last two lines reported by hub.c are:
- hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-2, assigned address 2
- usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x45e/0x39) is not claimed by any active driver.
instead of the two lines mentioned above. The mouse works when a Dock is not involved.
The Linux 2.6 kernel that Knoppix 3.7 uses behaves almost identical to the 2.4 kernel.
Windows XP Pro works with the Dock 2631.
When testing my T30 on a Port Replicator model 2878, the Dock's USB ports work.
When testing my T30 on a Dock model 2531, the Dock's USB ports did not work.
Problem solved by purchasing new dock from IBM
- Ubuntu versions 6.06, 6.10, 7.04 (Dapper, Edgy, Feisty)
Because the X21 does not have room for a CDROM, one must plug it into the dock to perform a CD based install. Early versions of the dock are known to have USB problems, which in turn cause Linux installation issues. To work around this problem, read more at: Installing Ubuntu on a ThinkPad X21