Installing Ubuntu 6.04 on a ThinkPad X41
This is a draft on how to get Ubuntu 6.04 on the ThinkPad X41
To use the blue middle TrackPoint button as a scroll wheel (using the red TrackPoint itself to scroll up and down), do the following. In a terminal, enter these commands:
$ sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-original
$ sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
In the editor, find the section headed Section "InputDevice" / Identifier "Configured Mouse" and add the following lines above the "EndSection" line:
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Save the file. Logout, restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and log in again. Source for this item: Many ThinkPad-related sites, confirmed by experiment.
- Note this gives vertical scrolling with a ThinkPad X40 running Ubuntu 6.10 Egdy Eft
- Another note from a different user: I just applied this edit running Edgy Eft on my ThinkPad 390E and found that it works perfectly for me.
- Another note from a different user: I just applied this to my ThinkPad x40 with Dapper Drake on it and it's working!!
- Another note from yet another user: this fix has just worked perfectly with Ubuntu 6.10 on my Z60m.
- Another note from yet another user: this fix has just worked perfectly with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty on my T43p.
- Works for this T41p user as well, great. Ubuntu 7.04!
- Another note from yet another user: this fix has just worked perfectly with Ubuntu 7.10 on my X41.
- Works flawlessly with ubuntu 8.04 on an X61
Suspend to RAM
You need to install this update:
$ dpkg -i acpi-support_0.85_i386.deb
After installing this package, the on-screen volume control does not work anymore ... can anyone confirm this. (did a lot of changes to my system, so I do not know if this reason.)