Installing Fedora 7 on a ThinkPad T60p
ThinkPad T60p model numbers used for this guide: 8742-C2U and 8743-CTO. Fedora 7 64 bit edition.
Works out of the box
- 2GB memory + SMP + Dynamic Frequency Scaling (T4700)
- Uniprocessor mode may be enabled in BIOS. GNOME CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor controls frequency modes.
- All PCI/ExpressCard/PCMCIA/SATA/USB 2.0 Controllers
- Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller [8086:109a]
- NetworkManager Applet detects wired link status and reconfigures instantly. Has trouble with wireless association just after login: use 'xkill' and '/sbin/ifup' or just keep retrying.
- Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller [8086:27d8] (rev 02)
- Speakers are crisp but limited volume. Built-in mic ("basic" quality) and external mic also work.
- GNOME Power Manager applet displays detailed information.
- Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth Controller (0a5c:2110)
- GNOME Bluetooth Applet detects device status. On/off via front case switch and Fn-F5. File transfer with 'gnome-obex-send' (send files) and 'gnome-obex-server' (receive).
- The following function keys:
- Fn-F4: Suspend
- Fn-F5: Bluetooth on/off
- Fn Contrast Up. On-screen display of setting with tpb package.
- Fn Contrast Down. On-screen display of setting with tpb package.
- GNOME Power Manager Brightness Applet is also able to control setting.
- Fn ThinkLight on/off. On-screen display of setting with tpb package.
- Mute Button: Works, but the setting is independent of Fedora/GNOME/ALSA setting. On-screen display of setting with tpb package.
- Volume Down: Works, but the setting is independent of Fedora/GNOME/ALSA setting. On-screen display of setting with tpb package.
- Volume Up: Works, but the setting is independent of Fedora/GNOME/ALSA setting. On-screen display of setting with tpb package.
The following status lights:
- Bluetooth, Numlock, Capslock, HD Activity, Power On, Battery Status, AC power, Suspend State
- Exterior status lights (Battery, AC Power, Suspend State) are illuminated by the same LEDs.
- Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Inc. (Lenovo branded) SATA CD-RW/DVD drive. Model GCC-4247N, Type: C2
Works with minimal configuration
- Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5418 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:0024]
- Manufacturer-supported, use SVN ath_hal from Madwifi, kernel sources required. Occasional hard-reboot required, please see this section for details.
- SGS Thomson Microelectronics Fingerprint Reader (0483:2016)
- Works with thinkfinger, but limited GNOME integration
- Firewire 400 (not available directly from Lenovo)
- Using Belkin Firewire and USB 2.0 ExpressCard (F5U506). Need to boot with card present. Access with superuser privileges.
- To stop annoying login beep: System --> Administration --> Login Screen --> Accessibility --> Unckeck: Login screen ready
- For the X-based terminal: type 'xset -b' without the quotation marks
- Screensaver on lid close
- May deactivate external VGA signal.
Works with extensive configuration
- MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-842 Multi-drive.
- Burns CD-Rs (tested at low speed), DVD read severely buggy, will burn discs with GNOME.
Does not work
- ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [Mobility FireGL V5250] [1002:71d4]
- Graphic installation crashes: use text mode. No widescreen: 1600x1200 or less. No graphics acceleration. Non-X11 console (CNTL-ALT-F1 through F8) size and windowing are incorrect after X starts.
- Custom Kernel hangs just after bootup, may be related to lack of SATA support. Still testing, looking for an incorrect compile flag. (Please post suggestions on talk page.)
- Wifi LED status light
- The following function keys:
- Fn-F2 Lock Computer: No effect.
- Fn-F3 Battery status: No effect.
- Fn-F7 LCD/CRT display tri-state toggle: must be selected at boot menu.
- No effect on new VGA cable attachment unless reboot or suspend.
- Fn-F9 Eject CD/DVD: No effect.
- Fn-F12 Suspend-to-disk: No effect.
- Fn Magnify: No effect.
- Fn Play/Stop/Rewind/Forward: No effect.
- ThinkVantage Button: No effect.
- Infrared Device
- Security Chip
Go to the Fedora Project website and follow instructions for downloading and burning a copy of Fedora 7 ISO image onto a DVD using your favourite burning program.
ThinkPad T60p has known sound issues if modem is set as hidden in BIOS. For this reason BIOS configuration used while creating this document is recorded below.
BIOS Version: 1.07 Config +-- Network | +-- Wake On LAN - Disabled | +-- Flash Over LAN - Disabled | +-- Internal Network Option ROM - Disabled | +-- Hard drive Direct Memory Access - Enabled | +-- Internal Network Device - Enabled | +-- Internal Wireless Device - Enabled | +-- Internal Bluetooth Device - Enabled | +-- Internal Wireless WAN Device - Enabled +-- Serial port | +-- Serial port - Enabled | +-- Base I/O address - 3F8 | +-- Interrupt - IRQ 4 +-- Infrared | +-- Infrared Device - Enabled | +-- Infrared - Disabled +-- Modem | +-- Modem Device - Enabled +-- Parallel port | +-- Parallel port - Disabled | +-- Mode - Bi-directional +-- PCI | +-- INTA PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTB PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTC PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTD PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTE PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTF PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTG PCI IRQ - 11 | +-- INTH PCI IRQ - 11 +-- USB | +-- USB BIOS Support - Enabled +-- Kerboard/Mouse | +-- TrackPoint - Automatic | +-- Touch Pad - Automatic | +-- Fn Key Lock - Disabled | +-- ThinkPad NumLock - Synchronized | +-- Power-On NumLock - Off +-- Display | +-- Default Primary Video Device - Internal | +-- Boot Display Device - ThinkPad LCD | +-- HV expansion - Off | +-- Brightness - Normal +-- Power | +-- Timer Wake with Battery Operation - Disabled | +-- Intel SpeedStep technology - Enabled | | +-- Mode for AC - Maximum Performance | | +-- Mode for Battery - Maximum Battery | +-- Adaptive Thermal Management | | +-- Scheme for AC - Maximum Performance | | +-- Scheme for Battery - Balanced | +-- CDROM Speed - High | +-- CPU Power Management - Automatic | +-- PCI Bus Power Management - Automatic +-- Alarm | +-- Power Control Beep - Disabled | +-- Low Battery Alarm - Disabled | +-- Volume Beep - Disabled | +-- Password Beep - Disabled +-- Memory | +-- Extended Memory Test - Disabled +-- Serial ATA (SATA) | +-- SATA Controller Mode Option - Compatibility +-- CPU +-- Core Multi-Processing - Enabled +-- Intel Virtualization Technology - Disabled
Booting from Fedora 7 CD
- Power on your ThinkPad
- Press the blue ThinkVantage button above the keyboard immediately
- Press F12 when prompted to choose a temporary startup device
- Insert Fedora 7 DVD into DVDROM drive
- Select your DVDROM drive from Boot Menu list and press Enter
- For ATI Mobility FireGL V5250, choose text-based installation