How to install Intel Device 4236 under sidux 2008-03 (Ουρέα)
Setup on: 2008-11-22. Sidux Kernel 2.6.27 comes with the needed configuration only the firmware microcode is missing. Until this code is not integrated into the nonfree package firmware-iwlwifi there is need to copy it by hand (see below).
This installation has been done on a T500 Modell 2082-52G. The listing of PCI-Devices in sidux told that the device is named Intel Device 4236. On the lenovo website the Device is called Intel 802.11agn wireless. On the ThinkWiki website the Device is called Intel WiFi Link 5100/5300 WLAN controller. The modprobe name is iwlagn.
- Update to 2.6.27 Kernel
# apt-get update && apt-get install linux-image-2.6-sidux-686 linux-headers-2.6-sidux-686
- Get the Firmware microcode from the Intel Website
$ wget http://intellinuxwireless.org/iwlwifi/downloads/iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gzand unpack it
$ tar -zxvf iwlwifi-5000-ucode-5.4.A.11.tar.gz
- Copy the Microcode into the firmware dirctory
for example by
# cp iwlwifi-5000-1.ucode /lib/firmware/
- Reload the Kernel Module
# modprobe -r iwlagn && modprobe iwlagn
Test of Hardware Installation
- Interface should be in the list now:
- Scan for Networks, this should work now:
# iwlist scanning
- Update ceni with wpagui
# apt-get update && apt-get install ceni wpagui
- Start ceni
- Configure Wlan Interface within ceni
- Select scan or roam.
- With scan you should see wireless networks and be able to connect to them.
- With roamif you want to use wpa_gui or wpa_cli later on for scanning and establishing a link.
- If you can not select scan or roam in ceni, then remove the configuration of the wlan interface first and try again.