Embedded Controller Chips
The ThinkPad Embedded Controller
This page contains information about Embedded Controller (also known as slave controller) chips found in ThinkPads.
- Apparently H8S microcontrollers have been used on all ThinkPads since the A30, T23, R40, X20.
- T500: Renesas H8S/2116V
- Unknown chips with field-upgradeable firmware
- Used on older ThinkPads, including the model 570, and maybe even earlier models. IBM called them Slave Controllers.
- Unknown chips with non-field-upgradeable firmware
- Used on ancient ThinkPads.