IBM ThinkPad Port Replicator II
The Port Replicator II (Model # 74P6733) is the cheapest dock IBM sells. It contains basic pass-through connections for notebook ports, including power pass-through. It comes without integrated power supply but provides the same power jack as found in a ThinkPad, so you need to use either your Thinkpad AC adapter or another IBM AC adapter. Besides all the pass-through ports the Port Replicator II comes with an On/Off switch and a slot for a cable lock (only for the Port Replicator though).
- Passthrough ports:
- Kensington Lock connector
- Power button
Pros & Cons
- Positives: Inexpensive ($149 Retail)
- Negatives: Requires AC adapter, only one USB port, doesn't secure Thinkpad
- Compatibility: X20/30, T20/30/40, R30/40/50, and A20/30 series (Does not support X40/41, R40e/50e/51e, or G40/41)
- Warranty: One Year
LCD monitors are getting larger and higher-resolution. Currently, DVI based on 165MHz TDMS transmitters can only (officially) support 1600x1200x32 at 60Hz, which is the resolution of your average 20" non-widescreen LCD. IBM's driver support for this resolution through DVI ports on docks has been inconsistent. Also in Linux you might experience problems even with this resolution and IBM officially states that the pass-through DVI port only supports resolutions up to 1280x1024. Read our page of information on how to solve these troubles.
Please be aware that not all Thinkpad models will support DVI output with a Port Replicator. Apparently, X and T2* models do not. Please add other models if you know about them to not support DVI.
- ThinkPad A20m, A20p, A21m, A21p, A22e, A22m, A22p
- ThinkPad A30, A30p, A31, A31p
- ThinkPad R30, R31, R32
- ThinkPad R40
- ThinkPad R50, R50p, R51, R52
- ThinkPad T20, T21, T22, T23
- ThinkPad T30
- ThinkPad T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p
- ThinkPad X20, X21, X22, X23, X24
- ThinkPad X30, X31, X32