Installation instructions for the ThinkPad X61s
The following features work out-of-the-box with Ubuntu 7.10:
- 3D rendering
- Hot keys: sound, brightness, keyboard light, monitor, suspend
- ACPI, battery monitor
- Sound card
The following features don't work out-of-the-box:
- suspend fails: seemingly due to the ipw3945 ethernet driver
- Trackpoint's mouse wheel emulation
Still not solved?
- Bluetooth: Under Gnome I can not enable and disable bluetooth from linux. Have to run the windows program which controls bluetooth and enable it. After reboot it will remain enabled (the led indicates it). However there is a hardware switch which turns off all radio communications (including Bluetooth, Wireless Lan, and WAN (3G)), and there is also the possibility to disable each one of them separately from BIOS.
- 3G: Not tested.
- Fingerprint reader: Not tried to install it. Suggestions about installation and use?
For more information see Installation instructions for the ThinkPad X61.
Debian Testing (Lenny)
with kernel 2.6.22-2
There are some observations on: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/hosted/lenovo-ibm-x61s.html
I would remark that I do control brightness of the screen from command line (not with the keys):
aptitude install xbacklight; xbacklight --help
There is a problem with reproducing video while using Compiz: https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+bug/111257