Bluetooth Daughter Card (14 pins)
The 14 pin Bluetooth Daughter Cards (BDC) are USB Bluetooth Adapters that are installed in a proprietary BDC socket. The connection probably carries usb, power, led and enable signal. The antenna is printed on the PCB. The location varies by model (within the screen, under the palm rest area, etc.); refer to the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the location of the BDC.
Very likely, all 14-pin-BDCs can be interchanged, allowing newer Bluetooth adapters to be installed in older ThinkPads. The Bluetooth 4.0 module, for example, works in an ThinkPad X200, even though it didn’t even exist at the time the X200 was released.
Bluetooth 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate (EDR)
- Broadcom BCM2045B
- USB id 0A5C:2110
- FRU PN: 39T0497 (T60, T61, X60, X61, X300)
- Z60m, Z60t, Z61t
- R60, R61
- T60p, T61p
- X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61s, X61 Tablet
Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR
- USB ids
- Broadcom BCM92070MD
- HCI/LMP version 2.1
- Firmware 104.66 / 3
- (information from hciconfig hciX features/version/revision)
- FRU 42T0969, 60Y3211, 60Y3215 R400, R500, T400, T500, W500, W700, W700ds, X200, X200s, X201, X201s
- FRU 44C9696 X200 Tablet, X201 Tablet
- FRU 43Y6481 SL300, T400s, X301
- FRU 60Y3199, 60Y3213 W701, W701ds, Edge 11", T410, T410i, T410s, T410si
- FRU 60Y3199 T510, T510i, W510, X100e
- Edge 13", Edge 14", Edge 15"
- L412, L512
- SL400, SL500, SL500c, SL510
- FRU 60Y3303 Foxcon, 60Y3305 Liteon
- USB id 0A5C:21E6
- Broadcom Corp. BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 [ThinkPad]
- tested also in T530
When Bluetooth is enabled, the Bluetooth-logo LED will light up and executing
# lsusb will show an entry mentioning "Broadcom".
On recent ThinkPads the Wireless killswitch disables both WiFi and Bluetooth (verified on a ThinkPad Z60m, Z61t, T60, T61 and X61).
ThinkPads without BDC socket
Not every Bluetooth comes via 14 pin Bluetooth Daughter Card. The X130e, X140e and the X240 for example use combined WiFi/Bluetooth mini-PCIe cards instead. Older devices use the Communication Daughter Card slot to provide Bluetooth.