Installing SuSE 10.1 on a ThinkPad T60
Installation of Suse 10.1 on a T60.
- Processor: Intel Core Duo Prozessor T2400 mit 1,83 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache
- Ram: 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2
- HD: 60 GB SATA w Active Protection System; 5400 U/min
- CD/DVD: DVD/CD-RW Combodrive V
- Display: 14,1' (35,8 cm); TFT Display; 1400x1050 (SXGA+)
- Graphics: ATI Mobility RADEON X1300; 64 MB DDR2 SDRAM
- Communication: 10/100/1000 LAN, Intel Mini PCI PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Lan, Infrarot, 56K Int. Modem
Most of the installation went very smoothly. Many components were recognized and configured correctly.
What works out of the box
- Intel Duo processor (dual-core)
- Network card
- Volume control keys and the function key for the locked screensaver.
- Always working without any OS support: keyboard light and screen brightness control
- Wireless (actually worked even though it looked different at first, but then worked flawless after reboot)
- Suspend to disc and suspend to RAM (wow!)
What needs to be fixed post-install
- Graphics card (ati drivers available via ati homepage)
To enable 3D acceleration, generate own rpm's from the ati package which can then be installed either via yast or simply with rpm. You should include the kernel sources in your installation since the ati script needs it to generate the Suse specific package which in terms is needed to properly enable 3D acceleration
- OSD for sound, thinklight, brightness
- IR Interface
- Modem (but I think it was not recognized in the installation process)
- This guide is listed at the TuxMobil Linux laptop and notebook installation survey (IBM/Lenovo).