Installing Fedora Core 6 on a ThinkPad T43
Installation Log Fedora Core 6 System components Thinkpad T43 (2668-F3G)
- Boot into Win XP and burn recovery CDs (access IBM button or start menu entry)
- Defragment your hard disks
- Reduce the size of NTFS partition. I used (Paragon Partition Manager http://www.partition-manager.com)
- (optional) I made 3 partitions. [(boot 500mb)(swap 1500mb)(8000mb)]
- Move the fat partition after NTFS partition
Installation of Fedora Core 6
- Download DVD ISO from mirror (http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/)
- Write it on the DVD
- Boot it up
- Start installing and if he asks where to install select custom layout for partitions
- Select /boot for 500 mb partition swap for 1500mb and / for 8000mb
- When installer asks to configure boot loader (grub), install it to /boot partition
- Continue with installing...
- Do not remove dvd from drive
- Boot into dvd and write "linux rescue"
- Now type "df" to see your partitions, ensure which one is /boot partition
- Type "dd if=/boot partition/ of=/boot partition/fedora.img bs=512 count=1"
- Exit from linux rescue and boot into Windos XP as administrator
- Download program explore2fs (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm)
- Run the program and select boot partition (should be first icon on tree)
- Copy fedora.img to C:/
- Edit C:/boot.ini
- If you can't see or open or write to the file use Explorer:
Go to Tools->Folder Options->View and select Show hidden files and folders and deselect Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Right-click on the file, view the Properties and uncheck Read-only. You can now edit the file.
- Write at the end of the file c:\fedora.img="Fedora 6"
- Reboot, you should see OS selection
- This guide is listed at the TuxMobil Linux laptop and notebook installation survey (IBM/Lenovo).