Qualcomm Gobi 2000
- ThinkPad AT&T® Gobi 2000 Broadband Option 78Y1398
- ThinkPad Gobi 2000 Broadband Option 78Y1399
The firmware for this device is not publicly downloadable and currently must be obtained from a windows installation. The firmware consists of 3 parts:
- amss.mbn (firmware stage 1)
- apps.mbn (firmware stage 2)
- UQCN.mbn (formware stage 3) - includes configuration and carrier specific settings)
MD5 SUM of known firmware files:
- 84d002b0ef003cde6c95826bfbf067fe /lib/firmware/gobi/amss.mbn (STAGE 1, tested with UK T510, O2 SIM)
- d7496085f1af3d1bfdf0fa60c3222766 /lib/firmware/gobi/apps.mbn (STAGE 2, tested with UK T510, O2 SIM)
- 1aa5727b034dd1f371a3412d5800c1a3 /lib/firmware/gobi/UQCN.mbn (STAGE 3, UMTS unlocked, tested with UK T510, O2 SIM)
The firmware for this device must be loaded prior to using the device. The firmware loading interface is exposed over USB as id 05c6:9204 which can be accessed as a character (TTYUSB) device under Linux using the qcserial driver (modified to include correct USB IDs). The firmware can be loaded using the gobi_loader application.
After firmware is loaded, the modem is exposed over USB as id 05c6:9205 which can be accessed as a character (TTYUSB) device under Linux using the qcserial (modified to include correct USB IDs). Normal dial-up software can be used to create a 3G connection.
Carrier specific configurations
Each device is intended to be used with a specific carrier, and is shipped with firmware to support that carrier. Notebooks are often also shipped with a pre-installed SIM. Other carriers may work by loading a different firmware version. The 'generic UMTS' stage 3 firmware is known to with with O2, an unsupported UK carrier. See above for a list of known firmware files.
ThinkPads this device may be found in
AT&T service contract may be required
Verizon service contract may be required
Gobi 2000 WWAN upgradable