This model has a single SODIMM socket, which supports up to 8GB of RAM (PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600MHz SODIMM).
The CPU does not support more than 8GB of RAM per SODIMM module. In particular, Linux and Windows fails to boot, and MemTest86+ crashes, when using a 16GB SO-DIMM module, model IMM2G64D3LSOD8AG-B15E from Intelligent Memory (which does work in a ThinkPad X250).
Any internal component replacement or upgrade (including hard disk and expansion cards) requires opening the back cover. Keyboard replacement requires full assembly and disassembly of the system board, and fresh thermal paste for the CPU heatsink.
Opening the case involves two stages:
- Opening a handful of screws (these have tiny retainer rings made of transparent plastic; be careful not to drop them when removing the back cover).
- Carefully prying apart dozens of little fragile plastic latches. This requires a plastic case opening tool to avoid damage (a metal screwdriver will nick and scratch the plastic).
This model has a 6-row keyboard, where thethrough share the same top-row physical keys with special functions keys (volume, brightness, etc.). By default, the top-row keys invoke the special functions, and require keypress to invoke the usual through functions. To switch the role and have the top-row keys default to through , enable Fn-Lock mode (by pressing + ).
Moreover,and share the same physical key. When Fn-Lock is activated, the key default to , and is invoked as + , which many users find inconvenient. To switch the and functions, in modern Linux distribution, add the following in a new file /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/61-ThinkPad-X240-keyboard.hwdb:
# ThinkPad X240: switch End and Insert keys (so that when Fn-Lock is enabled, End works without Fn). keyboard:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnLENOVO:pn*:pvrThinkPadX240:* KEYBOARD_KEY_d2=end KEYBOARD_KEY_cf=insert
# udevadm hwdb --update
(The keyboard:... line matches /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/modalias, and the hex scancodes are found using
# evtest /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd . )
Resources (by Lenovo)
- Windows Drivers
- Hardware maintenance manual
- Specifications (pdf)
- Specifications (web)
- User Guide
- System Service Parts
- PC Perspective's description
- Description at Lenovo's online shop
- Mobile Geeks video presentation
- Article by notebookcheck.com in German
Pages in category "X240"
The following 21 pages are in this category, out of 21 total.